April 11, 2016

Be The Best Version of YOU

In 2009 I tore the ligaments in my right ankle. I tripped over a dip in the concrete about 1/4 mile into a 5k, and because I am stubborn like no other, I kept going.
I was in a boot for the rest of the summer.
My physical therapist suggested I try yoga as a means of strengthening all the surrounding muscles so I could rebuild the strength in my right side. It worked. I went religiously to this class and six months later I was stronger than ever.
The part I always hated was the mental component. She always talked about releasing your mind and leaving judgement behind. I struggled with that. I could never stop looking at the person next to me. I am competitive by nature. I wanted to get deeper in the pose, hold it longer, appear more graceful-do everything better than the person next to me.
I missed the whole point.
Recently I did yoga again and though clearing my mind is still a challenge, I didn't even notice the people around me. I am no longer in a competition with anyone else. I don't need to be smarter or skinnier or richer than the person next to me.
I just need to be the best version of myself.
Am I a work in progress? Of course! We all are. That's what life is about.
So today, let go of expectations. Say fuck it to what anyone else thinks. Just rock who you are.


xx, Randie

No comments

Post a Comment


UP