June 14, 2016

Mixed Berry Breakfast Muffins!

I am beyond backwards but I am catching up today, and I have hired a social media assistant for the summer, so my stash of healthy recipes is making a move from my head to your belly very soon. ( P.S. my assistant will be 13 in ten days and has red hair. Guesses anyone?)

I wrote the above paragraph 4 days ago. That's how things have been. I got a new day job (Lactation Director at a local hospital) so I am still adjusting to the new gig. I get up at 4:30 so I can drink coffee, catch up on email, and start working out by 5am. I know it sounds crazy but it's what works for me. I have to do it before my brain gets messy and too many things stand in my way.
I have been doing a good, but not great job of bringing food to work with me. I was hooked on hard-boiled eggs for a while, but then one day I took a bite, spit it out, and that was that. I am all or nothing when it comes to food. I eat it over and over again, love every minute, and then boom! No more.
 I had a bunch of random berries in the fridge this week that were about to turn, so i decided to make a filling breakfast muffin that is perfect for the 10am hour, which is usually when I get hungry.  They are gluten free which is a good thing in our house. But more importantly, they taste good. Really good. They are not "muffiny" in the traditional floury sense, but in my humble opinion, they rock. They are filling and healthy, too. Win-win. So here is my recipe for mixed berry breakfast muffins. I was imagining blueberry only but I am a clean-out-the-fridge cook. I use what I have.

They are in the oven as we speak and smell amazing. 

2.5 cups rolled oats (not quick cook. Use gluten free if you need to otherwise, save your cash)
1.5 TBSP Chia Seeds
1.5 TBSP Flax meal
1.5 TSP baking powder
2 TSP honey (not gonna lie, I used stevia this time, but either works)
1 TBSP Cinnamon
2 Ripe bananas, mushed
3 eggs, beaten
1.5 cups unsweetened cashew milk ( or almond or coconut, again, it's what we had. And at any given time we have 4-5 different kinds of milk. Is that weird?)
One pint berries
Preheat your oven to 350. I like paper cups in my muffin tins as it makes clean up easier and for some reason we have like 394384 in the house at any given time. I spray mine with the coconut oil spray from Trader Joe's.
Holy shit my house smells good.
Mix all your wet ingredients in one bowl. If you do not know which are wet and which are dry, I cannot help you.

Let's pause for a minute. One of my staff members has chickens and has been giving me fresh eggs. Can we all just stop and say how pretty they are?



Mix all your dry ingredients in another bowl. Same rule as the wet ones applies.


Mix them all together until combined, then stir in the berries.


Mmmmm. Berries.
Divide into 12 muffin tins and bake for 30 minutes.



If you are following the 21 day fix meal plan, each serving is 2 muffins and is one yellow, 1/2 purple, 1/4 red and 1 tsp.

What do you bring with you to work or play?

xx, Randie

No comments

Post a Comment


UP