October 2, 2016

A Long Hiatus and Corn Casserole

You may have thought I was dead. Or eating crap. Or you didn't give a second thought to my prolonged absence.
All of which are okay and true.

I am not dead, as made obvious by my typing. But I did get sick on September 9 and I am not even close to 100%. I may in fact need a nap after all this typing. For reals, I got the nasty-ass flu, which led to pneumonia, which led to bronchitis. I now appear to have a cold which as I said to my dear husband, is the ultimate in fuck-yous. I hate complaining so I shall stop-but it is a part of what's been going on for me.

In May I started a new job as the Director of Lactation at a hospital which I absolutely LOVE, and they are paying for me to go to nursing school, which is amazing, although some days I think I must be insane. I am only taking once class this semester (still have 2 prerequisites to get done) but with this devil that has invaded my body I have barely had it in me to walk, let alone cook.

One of the perks my hospital offers (and there are many) is we have a CSA that delivers directly to the hospital. I have done community supported agriculture in the past, but it's been hard to keep up with the veggies this month with me being so sick.

I had a burst of energy the other day and decided to come up with something that involved at least 4 of the veggies we got in the farm share. It was a big hit with everyone except my little who has some odd aversion to corn "off the cob." Who knows what goes on in the minds of eleven year olds.

I have not done the 21 day fix conversions yet, but comment if you want me to and I am happy to ablige.



large buttercup squash (can sub acorn or butternut)
1 cup chopped onion
2 -3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 dash cayenne pepper
1 cup red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
1 cup green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
1 teaspoon salt
4 eggs, beaten
3 ears corn, kernels taken off or 2 cups
2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese (I used low fat)
Directions:   Cut squash in half  and scoop out seeds.   Bake cut sides down at 425° 45- 50 min.   or until very soft .   Let squash cool and scrape out of the shell; mash as smoothly as you can.   Meanwhile, sauté onion, garlic and spices in olive oil until onion is translucent.   Add peppers, corn and salt, stir, cover and leave on low heat 5 min.   Preheat oven to 350°.   Stir beaten eggs into mashed squash.   Add corn, sautéd vegies and grated cheddar; stir to mix well.   Bake 20 min.

I loved it. I really did. Hope you do too!


xx, Randie

No comments

Post a Comment


UP