November 14, 2016

Vegan (or not) Tortilla Soup- 21 Day Fix Approved!

Dude, my soup game is on point lately.

Husband does Vegan Before Six and has since he lost 100 pounds a number of years ago. It is not a plan that works for me, but I have figured out ways to make us both lunches that work.

Now hear this: I am not the wife who makes sure her man has his lovely lunch packed daily. Hells no. Especially during the summer where he makes salad all the time, and personally I hate salad for lunch. No matter what's in it it leaves me feeling like I am missing something. But now that it's cold I worship the soup gods and that works for the both of us. 

On Wednesdays we wear pink, and on Sundays we make soup. And lots. I always make enough for 10 lunches plus some for the freezer in case godforbidhehastofendforhimself.  On Thursday I made a whole roasted chicken in the crockpot which if you have not done, you are truly missing out. I was not super hungry that day (read: wine for dinner) so there was lots left over. I shredded it and used it to top off the soup to make it more balanced for my protein craving soul. 

This soup is hella healthy, delish times 78847523 and easy. You will notice, though, I puree almost all my soups and my immersion blender is the one kitchen thing I could never live without. I have a very vivid memory of cooking with my mother and her pureeing soup in the blender and it exploding all over the place, and well, no need to have that happen again.


I present to you, tortilla soup.

Ingredients:

2 bell peppers, chopped
2 onions chopped
2 jalapenos, you guessed it, chopped
6 minced garlic cloves
1 TBSP oregano
1 TBSP cumin
1 TBSP chili powder
2 TBSP olive oil
2 tsp pink Himalayan salt
2 cans chick peas, drained
10 corn tortillas, torn into pieces
10 cups vegetable stock or a combo of stock and water ( I used 8:2)
1 cap no-salt tomato paste
1 20 oz can diced tomatoes
juice of a lime

Heat your oil over medium heat in a heavy-bottomed big-ass pot. Toss in the onions and let them cook for a few minutes. Like 5. Add in the peppers, onions and jalapenos and coo for 2 more minutes. Add in the tomato paste and spices and garlic, stir well and cook for another 30 seconds. Add in the stock, tomatoes and chick peas. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and put a lid on it. Go fold laundry or get a manicure or if you're like me, hide in the bathroom and pretend you are dying so everyone will leave you alone.

Toss in the tortillas and the lime juice. Let cook for another 10 minutes (more is okay). 
Puree.
Eat.
You can top with avocado, shredded chicken, tortilla chips. Whatever you want. I'm not the boss of you.

Because I love you all, I measured this out to a T. It made 18 cups of soup. If you are doing the 21 day fix or core de force or anything else that has you thinking about food in colored containers, each cup is 3/4 yellow, 1 tsp, 1 green. 

xx, Randie

No comments

Post a Comment


UP