January 10, 2017

Cauliflower mashers

Cauliflower mash and other thoughts.

I am not a huge cauliflower fan. Of course it's Jon's favorite, and now the kids like it too. For whatever reason it never did it for me, regardless of the prep. In general I don't love anything in the cabbage family so that's probably why.

I have made a cauliflower mash before but it was texturally really unappealing for me. I decided to research a bit and it seems the key is making sure that you remove the outer layer from the stem (or chop it off as I did). I made this last night with a curried beef and it was so good I am eating it again for lunch today.

Cauliflower Mashed "Potatoes" Recipe

Servings: 4

 

Prep Time: 8 minutes

 
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Ingredients:
1 head of cauliflower
1 tablespoon butter (I used earth's balance, but you could use coconut oil or whatever fat you want)
2/3 cup shredded cheddar
salt and pepper to taste
snipped chives (optional. Seems like it would be good but it's not in season)

Directions:

1. Separate the cauliflower into florets and chop the core finely.

2. Bring about 1 cup of water to a simmer in a pot, then add the cauliflower. Cover and turn the heat to medium. Cook the cauliflower for 12-15 minutes or until very tender.
3. Drain and discard all of the water (the drier the cauliflower is, the better) and add the milk, butter, cheese, salt and pepper and mash with a masher until it looks like "mashed potatoes." ****I used my stick blender because A STICK BLENDER IS THE BEST THING EVER

Makes 4 servings, each is 1/2 blue, 1 green, 1 tsp


xx, Randie

No comments

Post a Comment


UP